Sunday, September 27, 2009

Worry? Me?

Phillipians 4:6
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.

Be anxious for nothing? Nothing? In everything by prayer and supplication. Everything? LOL! Ok, so I am not so good at this. I think I am probably one of the biggest worriers. Shhh! I go round and round with the worry but I realize that my focus is not on God anymore but on my own self and my own frustration of the situation I am dealing with. Thinking of the other person and how frustrating the whole situation is and how they are irritating me or what they are doing or not doing. Hello! Is that what God wants?

In the words of Elizabeth George (she's kind of smart), instead of worrying and being anxious, we are to do something positive by praying. I worry about trying to understand and figuring out what I need to do but God gives us the answer already. Be anxious for nothing but in everything be Praying! The way to worry about nothing is to be praying about everything. He supplies you with complete peace of mind and heart (phil 4:7). If your care is too small to be turned over to God in prayer, that care is too small to worry about.

So, all I need to do is pray. Sounds simple. I realize that this is something that gets overlooked. My focus gets taken off of Him. I think I have it handled and there it is right in front of me again. What happened? I was not praying. I thought I had it. That's the problem, I thought I had it. Not allowing God to have it.

Once again, God does not give you anything more than what you can handle and when you have temptations He provides a way out. Those temptations could be the simple irritation that could draw me away from focusing on God. He provides a way from those temptations and that is by praying to Him. I am going to challenge myself to pray to Him with ALL things, especially when the thoughts come reeling in to call out to God and ask Him to put my focus back on Him. To stretch myself more and bring a closer relationship with God. I don't know how strong I will be or consistent but know this needs to be more fervently done.

Praying in His footsteps
Stephanie

2 comments:

alicia said...

This post was so touching as it most definitely sounded like something I would have said - although you do it much better! ;) It is so easy to lose track and then to go back and smack yourself on the forehead and say- oh yeah, I didn't really leave it up to God did I!? Praying for you!

Bina said...

Two quotes got my attention.
The first:
" Those temptations could be the simple irritation that could draw me away from focusing on God."
*sigh* I know, I know. I get SO easily swayed when my heart gets full of intense emotions and I find myself pulled back from His embrace as He calls out "Hey! Why ya standing out in the rain when you could be with me, under my umbrella?"
The second:
"Shhh!"
You made me smile.
I love you, friend, even if you DO use your blog to kick my butt! :)